Today’s service was an extra special for members and regular attendees of Vine Street Baptist Church. A dear regular returned after being away for nearly a year, battling cancer. She received lots of hugs and was warmly welcomed. Also in attendance today was a former pastor, Jack Oliver. He was celebrating the anniversary of his very first sermon preached, right here at Vine Street, some 43 years ago nearly to the date.
The service began when Deacon Mickie Bainter read Psalm 19 and said a prayer. Following that, Worship Leader Jacob Hatcher led everyone in singing:
- The Family of God
- Sweet, Sweet Spirit
A few minutes of fellowship allowed for a time of hugs and handshakes, then Pastor Spencer Harmon presented several announcements:
- Today’s sermon: Every Member … Ministers
- Tonight’s Bible study: The Person of Jesus
- Children’s Church starts again today. Children will go to a special time of Bible study geared to their level.
- Thank you to everyone who participated in Back to School Bash.
- Pounding for the Hanna’s is postponed until next week.
- Recognition of special guests
- Pastoral concerns for the health and well being of several members of the body.
Spencer said a pastoral prayer, then Boyce College student Josh Bertsch read 1 Timothy 3:14-16. Jacob returned to the platform and led the gathered in a hymn and a worship song:
- The Church’s One Foundation
- O Church Arise
Deacon Joe Gross said a prayer for the offering, then Jacob played his guitar while the plates were passed.
Today’s message was the next in a series called “Every Member.” The full audio can be heard by clicking on the date link below, or right-click and select “Save As” to save the file to your computer. Click on the scripture reference to follow along with the reading.
|August 14, 2016 AM||Ephesians 4:11-16||Every Member … Ministers||Spencer Harmon|
After the sermon, the congregation sang O Church Arise, then Spencer closed the service with a benediction.